The Liebster award is this strange thing that circulates through the blogosphere every so often. The idea is that you answer some stuff about yourself and then nominate some other people you know to answer a set of your questions. It’s a cute “get to know you” process that I ultimately I have enjoyed reading in the past from other blogs. This morning the ever awesome Mystical Mesmer blog included me in their nomination form, and as such I will be taking their quiz. The problem is.. I have to fess up and say that I was nominated before and somehow missed it. I tend to read blogs in bursts, rather than daily… so there are times it will take me days to catch up. During one of these lulls the ever awesome Zuulzilla nominated me, and I did not find out until a truly embarrassing amount of time had passed. As such I never actually got around to filling her form out. This morning I am going to do something a little bit odd… I am going to try and answer both posts.
1. Who, what, and/or where does your blogging inspiration come from?
Honestly I have no clue where the words that I type on a daily basis come from. My blog is very much a stream of thought of whatever happens to be important enough to me to trickle up each morning. I am thankful that I seem to be able to write a blog post on queue, but I am also constantly afraid that at some point the spigot will shut off.
2. What do you/did you want to be when you grow up?
When I was a small child… I wanted to be an Astronaut Doctor Fireman… a job that was apparently an amalgam of all three. During Middle School I wanted to be a Scientist of some sort… and then High School it was a Commercial Artist. I ultimately ended up becoming a programmer because I fell involve with the World Wide Web and HTML in 1993.
3. What advice do you have for someone just starting out in blogging?
Don’t box yourself into a corner when you set up your blog. Blogging about a specific game is awesome, until you stop playing that game. While it might be harder to get traction, I highly suggest you just do your own thing and over time an audience will find you.
4. What are some things on your bucket list?
I would absolutely love to visit Europe. For the most part I have not travelled terribly far from my home here in Oklahoma. I grew up an hour from where I live, and have spent most of my life in a two hour radius. While travel stresses me out, I would like to do more of it.
5. What clique were you in in high school?
To some extent I was grandfathered into the “cool kids” group, but didn’t end up hanging out with them much. Over time I built my own group of misfits, that my association with them… somewhat extended a bit of a bubble of protection over them. So essentially I made my own Clique.
6. You are exiled to an island and can take three items. What do you choose?
I guess I am going to go utilitarian here… a really good shovel, a really strong machete style knife, and a solar powered kindle loaded full of books? That exists right?
7. If you could go back 5 years and share one piece of advice with yourself, what would you say?
Work really hard on not caring quite so much what others think about you, and focusing on just doing your own thing. Also I would hopefully embark upon my “positivity crusade” earlier.
8. Who’s your favorite Superhero?
I am bad at picking favorites… but I would have to say the super hero that I will always gravitate towards is Batman. I love that he is just an extremely trained and well equipped normal human being, rather than someone with super powers. I like that idea.
9. Favorite place to visit?
Used book stores… namely Half Priced Books chain. I love the smell of a book store, especially one that trades in older books. There is just something calming about it. While I don’t read as much as I would like… I love being surrounded by books.
10. Dinosaurs or Dragons? Why?
Dragon, because Dinosaurs are just bit lizards… whereas Dragons tend to be giant fire breathing and flying lizards. It would be hard to beat that combination.
Mystical Mesmer Questions
1. What are the three major elements of your ideal video game?
Melee Combat, RPG Style Gear Acquisition, and Sandbox Exploration. That essentially is the appeal of a Skyrim type game for me. Give me a world where I can beat things up, get shiny new things, and wander around aimlessly finding interesting tidbits along the way.
2. Big city, suburb, or countryside?
Generally speaking I am a suburbanite. I grew up in the relative countryside, in a very tiny town. As soon as I could I ran off to the “big city”. However my version of big city is considerably smaller than say a New York or a San Francisco. I am pretty comfortable in my suburban existence, and would hate to give up all the convenience of having the ability to get practically anything I could need within a mile of the house.
3. What’s the origin of your blogging name?
It all started with the fact that my intention was to do a tanking blog, since that is the thing I tend to do most in video games. I wanted to be clever, so I mashed together the word “Aggronaut” to represent someone how voyages through “Aggro”… aka a Tank. The domain name was available, and I snapped it up. The “Tales of the” part just came natural since I would be spinning tall tales about my adventures.
4. Aeris lives and you’re hired to retell Final Fantasy 7. What role does she play?
I feel like I was the one person who never really liked Aeris in the first place. I liked Tifa or Yuffie so much more in 7. I would have happily never used her at all, but she was a pretty great heal bot… so I guess had she survived she would STILL be a heal bot? I pretty much beat the game using Cloud, Cid and Vincent… so yeah.
5. What’s your favorite biome?
So here comes some strangeness… I hate the winter and I hate snow and ice in the real world. That said I am always drawn towards snowy mountain biomes in games. If given a choice those tend to be my ideal settings, so for example even though I am human in GW2, I always end up going to the Norn capital of Hoelbrak and was always a fan of Ironforge in World of Warcraft.
6. Write a haiku love poem to this morning’s breakfast.
crunchy crackers nutty and sweet
slowly sipping delicious coffee, caffeinating my brain
cup always emptied too soon
7. What’s your preferred device for reading blogs?
I tend to use Feedly because it allows me to shift between reading blogs on my phone and reading blogs in a browser window keeping track of what I have read between the two. For podcasts I just started using Pocket Casts which does something similar.
8. If you were to start up a video game company, what would you name it?
I think “Confused Monkey” is a name that would adequately describe me and my style.
9. Which of the Seven Dwarves would you be and why?
I would probably say Grumpy or Dopey… my friends would probably say Doc. I tend to generally be the ring leader of things even when I am not technically the leader.
10. What form of exercise do you find to be the most effective?
I tend to prefer walking. I am looking forward to it warming up so we can start walking daily again.
11. How long is a piece of string?
Always about an inch shorter than you actually need it to be.
Admittedly this is the hardest part about doing this… is coming up with your own set of questions. I stole a few here and there, and came up with my own along the way as well.
- What are the three major elements of your ideal video game?
- What’s the origin of your blogging name?
- What is your favorite biome?
- What is your favorite genre of movie?
- How did you get started blogging?
- What is your fondest childhood memory?
- What is your favorite in game “mount” and why?
- Do you collect “mini pets” in game, and if so do you have a favorite?
- Cats, Dogs or Something else?
- Describe your relationship with your automobile.
- What role of the holy trinity of tank/dps/healer fits your personality most?
I’ve seen several versions of this questionnaire over time, and all of them seem to have different rules for how and why you should nominate someone. Since the last version didn’t actually come with any of that information attached I am just going to free form this. My idea is picking folks who are not necessarily in the same social circles… so that hopefully this spreads further!
- Simcha at Simcha’s Many Lives
- Murf at Murf Versus
- Braxwolf at Gaming Conversations
- Sagacyte at Digital Adventures of Sagacyte
- Cuppy at Cuppyville